We’re back with the fifth installment in our series on copywriting frameworks that are designed to convert. So far, we’ve explored the AIDA, PAS, BAB, and 4 P’s frameworks. Today, let’s get into the 4 C’s: Clear, Concise, Compelling, and Credible. This framework is perfect for writers who want to deliver messages that are not only persuasive but also straightforward and trustworthy.
What are the 4 C’s?
The 4 C’s framework is about crafting copy that adheres to the following principles:
- Clear: Write clearly to avoid confusion.
- Concise: Keep it short and to the point.
- Compelling: Engage the audience and motivate them to act.
- Credible: Establish trust through accuracy and reliability.
Why the 4 C’s Work
The 4 C’s work in tandem to make your copy not just persuasive but also easily digestible and reliable, which are key factors in convincing a skeptical audience.
Exploring the 4 C’s
The key to writing clearly is avoiding jargon and convoluted sentences. Your message should be understandable to anyone in your target audience.
For a cybersecurity product: “Protect your online data from hackers” instead of “Implement robust 256-bit encryption algorithms.”
A concise message is not just brief but also full of meaning. Trim any filler words or irrelevant information.
For an online course platform: “Learn skills. Get certified. Land your dream job.”
To be compelling, your copy needs to tap into the desires or fears of the reader, driving them toward a specific action.
For a travel agency: “Escape the everyday grind and experience a tropical paradise.”
Use facts, statistics, or expert endorsements to establish credibility. This assures the reader that you are trustworthy.
For a dietary supplement: “Clinically proven to boost immunity by 40%.”
Applying the 4 C’s in Different Industries
- Clear: “Your dream home awaits.”
- Concise: “Move-in ready. Prime location.”
- Compelling: “Live the life you’ve always dreamed of.”
- Credible: “Rated #1 in customer satisfaction for three consecutive years.”
- Clear: “Grow your wealth.”
- Concise: “Invest smartly. Earn more.”
- Compelling: “Secure your future today.”
- Credible: “Trusted by over 10,000 investors.”
The 4 C’s of copywriting help ensure that your message isn’t just persuasive but also clear, concise, and credible. This framework is particularly effective when you need to convince a discerning audience or simplify complex topics.
Next in the Series
Stay tuned for our next article, where we’ll discuss the 4 U’s framework—Useful, Urgent, Unique, Ultra-specific—that focuses on creating copy that not only grabs attention but also maintains it.
- Books: “The Elements of Style” by Strunk and White
- Online Courses: “Copywriting 101: How to Craft Compelling Copy” by Copyblogger